5 Dangerous household plants for pets

April 04, 2022 4 min read

5 Most Toxic Plants for Pets - Chasing Winter

Are you a plant lover and have almost a jungle in your home? At Chasing Winter we are huge plant lovers and can happily say we love living on the greener side. However did you know that some of your much loved plants may actually be causing health issues or be a danger for your pet? We dive into the top 10 dangerous household plants there is.

Top 5 Dangerous Plants for Pets

1. Autumn Crocus is a danger to pets

Although this pretty purple flower is stunning to look out it can actually cause not only death to a pet but major damage to internal organs and distress if eaten or inhaled. 

Interesting enough the Colchicum Autumnale is in the same family as the Lilaceae (Lily) which is most often used as a gifting plant and very common in households without realisation. The most poisonous part of the flower are the stems that sit in the middle of the flower and tend to dust themselves off as they age, which part of the flower is also used to help treat gout and Behcets disease and can also be high toxic to humans if used too oftern. 

 Symptoms to look out for if you think your pet has eaten a Autumn Crocus

  • Anemia
  • Black, tarry stool
  • Blood in stool
  • Burning in mouth
  • Death
  • Depression
  • Diarrhea
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Excessive drooling
  • Fever
  • Loss of appetite
  • Multi-organ damage
  • Seizures
  • Shock
  • Slowed heart rate
  • Vomiting, possibly bloody

If you think your pet has inhaled this plant or eaten it please contact your Vet immediately if they are showing any signs and symptoms. 

Autumn Crocus is poisonous to pets

2. Azalea is poisonous to pets

The Azalea plant comes in a numerous amount of fun colours that are not only stunning to look at but will help brighten any home up. In the same plant family as the Rhododendrons this pretty flower can actually be life threatening for your pet even if they have eaten a small fraction.

The most poisonous part of the Azalea is the grayanotoxin that is in the leaves, petals and can even be found in the pollen. When eaten it can cause burning severe un-comfort in the mouth and even burning. If not taken care of immediately you will find that your pets cells may not return to their normal self.

Symptoms to look out for if you think your pet has eaten Azalea

  • Abdominal pain
  • Abnormal heart rate  
  • Abnormal heart rhythms
  • Coma
  • Depression
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Hypotension
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Low blood pressure
  • Muscle weakness
  • Rapid, shallow breathing
  • Seizures
  • Temporary blindness
  • Tremors        
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness

If you think your pet has inhaled this plant or eaten it please contact your Vet immediately if they are showing any signs and symptoms. 

Azalea plant dangerous to dogs - chasing winter

3. Cyclamen Plant is a danger to pets

These beautiful little flowers that pop themselves up from the stalk with an array of two toned leafs at the bottom are stunning to look at and are the perfect statement for any home. 

If any part of this plant get eaten, even the roots then your pet will end up poisoned and may end up having seizures, high drooling and vomiting. It is best to keep this plant away from your pet especially if you have a digger.

Symptoms to look out for if you think your pet has eaten Cyclamen

  • Abdominal pain
  • Abnormal heart rate or rhythm
  • Anorexia (no appetite)
  • Blood in urine
  • Bloody diarrhea
  • Convulsions
  • Death from respiratory failure
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Gastroenteritis
  • Heart rhythm abnormalities
  • Listlessness
  • Mucosal hemorrhage
  • Painful liver
  • Paralysis
  • Rough hair coat
  • Salivation
  • Seizures
  • Terminal convulsions
  • Ulcerative gastritis
  • Vomiting
  • Weight loss

If you think your pet has inhaled this plant or eaten it please contact your Vet immediately if they are showing any signs and symptoms. 

Is the Cyclamen poisonous to dogs?

4. Lilies are highly toxic to pets

One of the most loveable plants or gifted plants are the Lilies and not only are they highly toxic and one of the most poisonous types of flowers for pets but they also need to be kept away from not only dogs but cats at all times. 

The most toxic part of the Lily is the Colchicine Alkaloid's that are the inside stems that tend to dust off after a few days. (We recommend just cutting them out if you are gifted with some Lilies). If your pets intakes a Lily or part of it it is important to understand that time will be very precious and you seek medical attention right away before your pets organs start to fail. There are many types of Lilies and we explain the symptoms below.

Symptoms to look out for if you think your pet has eaten Lilies

Star Lily, Glory Lily, Lily of the Valley are the most toxic of the kind

  • Death
  • Hiding
  • Kidney failure (swollen abdomen - fluid retention, unusual urination - marked increase or decrease)
  • Liver failure (abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of appetite, swollen abdomen, vomiting, yellow skin and eyes)
  • Shock

Calla Lily and Peace Lily Symptoms

  • Bad breath
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration (dark urine, depression, dry skin, extreme thirst, loss of skin elasticity, reduced urination, sleepiness, sunken eyes)
  • Excessive drooling
  • Seizures

Crinum Lily and Rain Lily Symptoms 

  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Redness of the eyes, mouth, and tongue
  • Vomiting

If you think your pet has inhaled this plant or eaten it please contact your Vet immediately if they are showing any signs and symptoms.  

5. Tulips and Hyacinths are harmful to pets

Lastly but not least is the breathtaking Tulips and Hyacinths flower family. The most toxic part of this flower are the bulbs and when eaten in a large amount can cause major damage to your pet. So if your dog is a digger, keep these plants out of your home and garden as it can cause tissue irritation around your pets mouth and through their throats.                                                                                 
Symptoms to look out for if you think your pet has eaten a Tulip
  • Drooling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased heart rate
  • Increased respiratory rate
  • Difficulty breathing

If you think your pet has inhaled this plant or eaten it please contact your Vet immediately if they are showing any signs and symptoms. 

Tulips are bad for dogs - Chasing Winter

Are you a plant lover? What is your favourite indoor plant?

Emma Hill
Emma Hill


Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

Get a free 2022 Calendar